A game forum for the Anphillia Ascension module for Neverwinter Nights.

Caravan Teleport.

iceball

Caravan Teleport.

Post by iceball on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm

I honestly realy dont like the Caravan teleport and dont make much sense ether, i feal it is something that was made for people that mine way too much in krusk and too lazy to head all the way back. or pay to get inside ranz.

RP wise, Ranz charge people for entering there city. But they will gladly offer a service to transport people for free?
    Even if the caravan belong to someone else, why would ranz allow a caravan to take people from ranz to other places? Make fewer people wanting to enter ranz.

I think if you mine a ton of ore, you gotta go through the trouble to carry it home. I kinda see that caravan as a ooc lazy tool.

kunou126

Re: Caravan Teleport.

Post by kunou126 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm torn.

It would get me home if I was stuck because I had to log out. Cleaven pretty much gets a free walk home via plains. Axfell has grand forest/loriette or they have to get over the bandit pass... Neither of which is particularly solo friendly.

Tough call.

Still... most mining brutes won't have enough charisma to even be allowed into the place, or the enterance fee will be a sufficient deterrent.

Definitely torn.

iceball

Post by iceball on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:09 pm

kunou126 wrote:I'm torn.

It would get me home if I was stuck because I had to log out.  Cleaven pretty much gets a free walk home via plains.  Axfell has grand forest/loriette or they have to get over the bandit pass... Neither of which is particularly solo friendly.

Tough call.

Still...  most mining brutes won't have enough charisma to even be allowed into the place, or the enterance fee will be a sufficient deterrent.

Definitely torn.

not enouth charisma to be allowed inside, thats exackly my point.. If you wanna mine more than you can carry.. you should take the pain and carry it home, insted of get a free teleport.
    If you get stock in ranz becourse you have to log out? i advice to plan your time better, if go on a long trip.. make sure you have plenty of time.
    If i get stock in the deepest level of krusk becourse i have to log, i wont have a free teleport out ether.

Cleavens way home is alot more easy than axfells, thats true.. but not free, aicdent direbear, packleaders and stuff gets in your way, then they should just make the way to axfell more easy.

Beside if you get stock in ranz, its not like axfell lack players to help you out Wink

eyesolated

Post by eyesolated on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:24 pm

in 2015, quality of life improvements like these are way more important than anything. pure time sinks in games are a thing of the past, if a feature, or a lack of a feature does nothing beyond increasing the time required to be put in then that's considered bad gameplay nowadays.

i get that some players are realism advocates and purists when it comes to stuff like this, but seriously, how does jow schmoe taking 5 minutes versus 20 minutes to get home in any way shape harm your enjoyment of the game?

at least for now it's a portal from ranzington home only, we have discussed designing a waypoint system a la diablo 3 or even putting in a hearthstone a la WoW to decrease travel times and time constraint-players getting stuck. but seeing as this may hamper the already kind of low PvP chance, the portal at ranzington seems like a fine idea. Maybe there will be additional portals in the future, maybe not. still, better to keep a player online because he can port home than him logging off again in frustration because he's stuck in ranzington.

iceball

Post by iceball on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Well if make random portals we may aswell get "hearth stone" and ignore any rp oppetunety a long travel may give. Even in 2015 there are players that like to rp a long walk without beeing set behind people that just want a ooc teleport home.. The caravan have abserlute NO ic reason.

to give it a little reason there should atleast be a charge on using the service, and not just 1gold.
    You pay to enter ranz but ranz allow free caravan? that dont make much sense RP wise.. I think these portals will lower the rp you get from walking along on a good travel.

edit:
    "i get that some players are realism advocates and purists when it comes to stuff like this, but seriously, how does jow schmoe taking 5 minutes versus 20 minutes to get home in any way shape harm your enjoyment of the game?"

It harms the enjoyment becourse i want people to work for stuff, or else we maight all just start with lvl 40 and all skills.
    InFliCtSuiCidE
    Admin

Post by InFliCtSuiCidE on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I feel like eyesolated is taking a lot of unfair flak for this, so let me be plain with everyone here.

First off, whether a change is originally suggested by eyesolated or not, the change in the module file goes through me; I am the one hosting the module, so obviously no changes that I did not approve of will be uploaded to the server. Whether or not this was his idea originally, it was an idea I supported.

Now, I'm not claiming that this portal doesn't have it's OOC advantages in certain cases, because I'd be lying to you if I said that it didn't. However, at this point in NWN, we have enough problems attaining initially, and then retaining players; this was purely a quality of life change to help players not get stuck in Razington by themselves. I completely agree that personal responsibility is important, and that players shouldn't actively engage in content that they're not entirely sure they can finish, but let's be real here for a second guys.

Maybe I don't even journey to Razington with my group without this portal, due to real life time constraints; that also kills RP interaction on the journey there; maybe I can't justify gathering crafting resources in that area of the map without this portal; that not only hampers me from a game mechanics standby, but it also makes it harder for me to craft worthwhile items, and therefore makes life more difficult for all new players, causing them to be frustrated and want to play less, and therefore have less IC interaction. Maybe I simply lose track of time roleplaying in Razington, and need to log off for bed, roleplay that I couldn't have engaged in if I had to walk all the way back to my fort.

At the end of the day, I know change is scary, and I know there's been a lot of it going on here lately; trust me, for every idea that's been brought to me and I've implemented, there's been another that I haven't. I try to determine the best course of the action for the ENTIRE playerbase, not just one or two players who may have a complaint with a particular feature or addition. If players really want a hyper-realistic experience, then I can increase durations between rests, start nerfing caster spells, lower experience, no loot over +1, etc. If that's the path people want to go down, fine, but I refuse to believe that this portal "Kills RP" or really disadvantages anyone in any way; if you want to roleplay a walk back to fort, totally cool, you definitely have the option to NOT use the portal.

Also, for the record, it's very short-sighted of players to assume that Razington is "providing this service for free". First off, we all know Lord Sten and the nobles of Razington are money-grubbing whores, and would never give away something for free that they could charge for; however, imagine this:
    1.) The caravan is outside the city gates, indicating that it is probably an independent merchant offering this service, not Razington as a city.
    2.) There are a lot of shitty monsters and angry animals to deal with on trading routes through the island; would it really surprise you if a traveling merchant offered a PC a deal; free passage to their fort on his wagon, in return for protection along the way?

Common sense here guys, let's use it.

iceball

Post by iceball on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Yes we can chose not to use the portal and be puniched for rp'ing becourse we would be set back by 4 times of those that use the portal. So you do kind of force people to use the portal if you dont want to drop behind the other players.

You keep complain about getting stock in ranz, yes that is not fun. Nor is it fun beeing stock in the buttom of krusk becourse you have to log, so if you have the portal to prevent from beeing stock in ranz. You should have portals everywhere.
    if the portal in ranz should stay there.. i dont think the best mining spot should be right next to it. It is only there to abuse the long travel with way too much ore, if it was to prevent people from get stock, we would have a -travel to town- item wich i hope we never get.

and normally you always been good at talk about things without insults. but that time is apparently over.

"Common sense here guys, let's use it."

Then again, i will remember my own advice i gave you when the server first startet.
    Its your server and your rules. I will keep my negative feedback for myself and just play along.

I am sorry for the offence this may have made.
    InFliCtSuiCidE
    Admin

Post by InFliCtSuiCidE on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:43 pm

That's not an insult, it's an attempt to make people understand that this doesn't actually affect anyone negatively; porting back to town from Razington in a strictly powergaming sense only really affects crafting, and players could just choose to craft in Razington, so the effect is pretty minimized.

iceball

Post by iceball on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 pm

If the caravan should be there i think it should atleast cost something to use.. maby same price as entering ranz?

kunou126

Post by kunou126 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:13 pm

The idea that a port from Ranz impacts the arms race is pretty ridiculous.

You need to consider crafted gear as free loot. In 2 weeks, everyone will get the best possible crafted gear virtually handed to them upon log-in.

What do you get? A +1 weapon with 1d6 fire. OOooo... scary!

Temporary weapon buffs from casters (such as dark fire and greater magic weapon) are going to smoosh that like its not even relevant.

Platinum and Iron armors and shields are handed out to be used as toilet paper.

This happens regardless of the existence of a port home. Let us also not forget there's a forge in Ranz where the crafting can happen if you can afford to get in... so I don't see a big advantage there either.

The only thing it saves is from someone on a limited play schedule the possibility of getting solo ganked or monster killed cause he was stuck with no ride home.

And lets be real... Ancient dire bears are not on the way to cleaven. At worst a single pack leader, a malar panther or a dire tiger, and a pushover troll would stand in your way... and an small army of badgers.

Do I want fools to load up way more than they can carry? No. That's why I leave them behind (unless its not their fault due to poison - which there are plenty of in Loriette Forest and Krust combined with a lack of affordable access to restoration scrolls/clerics).

After hearing the arguments and considering the end game, I side with the devs on this one.

iceball

Post by iceball on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 am

" Ancient dire bears are not on the way to cleaven. At worst a single pack leader, a malar panther or a dire tiger, and a pushover troll would stand in your way... and an small army of badgers."

You should do a little research first, its level based and i always get a acident dire bear when go past that point. Ill gladly show you if you dont belive it. Not that the aicdent dierbear is a challange. Just pointing out its not true what you said.
    For the buffs like flameweapon and darkfire... its very common to wear fire resistant amulet in anphillia, choose between 2 strength or 30 fire resist... i'd give up 1 dmg and one ab anytime for 30 fire resist.
    And in 2 weeks everyone get them handed out on log in? Well unless thats something the dms do i doubt that happen in cleaven.

for +1enchantment and 1d6 dmg.. i hear that in the late game this server will have crazy stuff like +8 items.. Then its true, then it is nothing.
    But for a normal anphillia +1 alone is a good thing. It prevent ghostly visage or milita helmet from absurb 5 dmg.. + elemental dmg.. thats 5+1d6 extra dmg. The small stats do count in the end =P

lets see in 2 weeks, i played the game since the server startet and i am still in iron armor and iron shield. I do have a platinium helmet now though.

never the less i'm getting off topic here, for the teleport like i told InFliCtSuiCidE i still think it is a stupid idea, however everyone else like it. Then removing it is even more stupid, so i'll deal with it and play along.

kunou126

Post by kunou126 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:05 pm

iceball wrote:You should do a little research first, its level based and i always get a acident dire bear when go past that point. Ill gladly show you if you dont belive it. Not that the aicdent dierbear is a challange. Just pointing out its not true what you said.

You can avoid it entirely by using transitions closer to ranz.

iceball wrote:
    For the buffs like flameweapon and darkfire... its very common to wear fire resistant amulet in anphillia, choose between 2 strength or 30 fire resist... i'd give up 1 dmg and one ab anytime for 30 fire resist.

Enchanted Iron Shield has 30 Fire resistance, and its handed out as standard equip as soon as the fort has an enchanter. Usually before weapons. Doesn't help casters much but they have energy buffer and similar defenses inherent to the class.

iceball wrote:
    And in 2 weeks everyone get them handed out on log in? Well unless thats something the dms do i doubt that happen in cleaven.

Does your faction not have a regular player base?

iceball wrote:
    for +1enchantment and 1d6 dmg.. i hear that in the late game this server will have crazy stuff like +8 items.. Then its true, then it is nothing.
    But for a normal anphillia +1 alone is a good thing. It prevent ghostly visage or milita helmet from absurb 5 dmg.. + elemental dmg.. thats 5+1d6 extra dmg. The small stats do count in the end =P

As a competative PvP server in a low magic world, I would agree. But as you said... the vision is high level gear drops that are much higher than the crafted gear. Lets see how it transforms.

iceball wrote:
    lets see in 2 weeks, i played the game since the server startet and i am still in iron armor and iron shield. I do have a platinium helmet now though.

I've played about 1 week and having made only 1 trip to the platinum farm with 14 ingots returned (7 craft attempts) and a 40% craft chance on platinum helms at level 3 in armor crafting, I made 3 platinum helms (buffed with +6 str bonus and +4 dex bonus). The only excuse for a fort not being equiped with platinum helms by now is lack of effort.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:28 pm